CBI to take over Ranchi gangrape-murder probe

Ranchi, Jan 3 (IANS) The Jharkhand government on Tuesday ordered the Cntral Bureau of Investigation to probe the incident of gangrape and murder of an engineering student on December 16 last year, an official said.

The probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation has been ordered by Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das, a government statement said, adding the victim’s family has demanded the case should be probed by the CBI.

The 19-year-old engineering student was gangraped and burnt to death on December 16. No arrest has been made so far.

Ranchi police formed a Special Investigating Team (SIT) to probe the gory incident but any positive result is yet to come out. The police also announced Rs 1 lakh reward for anyone who would provide any information related to the rape and murder.

However, forensic experts have maintained that many evidences were lost in the fire and even if any remained, they were washed away by the water thrown to douse the flames.

Ranchi police came under severe criticism for failing to solve the case.

–IANS

ns/pgh/vt

Top