CSA accepts ICC's dismissal of Faf's appeal in 'mintgate' row

Johannesburg [South Africa], Dec. 22 (ANI): Cricket South Africa (CSA) has accepted the decision of International Cricket Council's (ICC) independent judicial commissioner Michael Beloff to dismiss Faf du Plessis's appeal against the verdict of ball-tampering case.
"We are satisfied with the matter being given due consideration by a person independent of the ICC. Both CSA and Faf believed that this appeal was imperative considering the important principles at stake," Sport24 quoted CSA Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat as saying.
"In our view, the fact that Mr Beloff deliberated for some time after hearing complex legal arguments from both sides demonstrates that this matter does indeed require further consideration and clarification from the ICC and the MCC."
"Notwithstanding the outcome of the appeal and Mr Beloff's helpful rulings on the matter, we hope that further reviews of the Code of Conduct and the laws of the game takes place as players will no doubt continue to seek clarification as to what is or is not permissible in the light of this case," he added.
Last month, the 32-year-old was found guilty of breaching Article 2.2.9 of the ICC Code of Conduct after television footage appeared to show him chewing a white lolly in his mouth, licking his finger on the mint before repeatedly shining and rubbing the ball during the fourth day's play of the second Test against Australia in Hobart.
He was fined 100 percent of his match fee by the ICC, but was cleared to play the third day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval.
He was also handed three demerit points by ICC Match Referee Andy Pycroft.
In a hearing that was conducted in Dubai on Monday, it was decided that the original decision was appropriate and the appeal was dismissed. The meeting was chaired by Michael Beloff QC in Dubai, with legal counsel of both parties attending the hearing in person and Du Plessis joining in via telephone.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said, "It is the duty of the ICC to ensure fair play on the cricket field. Although it was not picked up by the umpires at the time, when the incident came to our attention subsequently, we felt it was our responsibility to lay a charge in this case because the ICC can't let such an obvious breach of this Law pass without taking any action."
"We are pleased that both the Match Referee and Mr Beloff QC have agreed with our interpretation of the Laws and hope that this serves as a deterrent to all players not to engage in this sort of unfair practice in the future," Richardson had said.
"It goes without saying that we will be reviewing the outcome to determine if any additional guidelines are needed to provide further clarity to the players and umpires around this type of offence. However we are satisfied that the law is clear and is implemented consistently," he added. (ANI)

Top