Elephant electrocuted in West Bengal
Siliguri, Oct 8 (IANS) An elephant was electrocuted when it ventured into a paddy field in West Bengal, forest officials said on Saturday.
The four-year-old male pachyderm was found dead in the field at Odlabari gram panchayat area in Malda district.
Wildlife officers rushed to the spot after witnesses reported the incident.
Officials said prima facie it appeared that the animal died of electric shock and a post-mortem would be performed to confirm this.
According to officials, it appeared that a herd 20-22 elephants entered the area on Friday night from Bhuttabari forests and returned to the forests except one male elephant.
It apparently stepped into the electric wire fencing put up by the villagers to prevent wild animals from damaging crops.