Former Spain defender Dominguez announces retirement
Berlin, Dec 7 (IANS) Former Spain international Alvaro Dominguez Soto has decided to hang up his football boots, the defender has said in an official statement.
The 27-year-old announced his retirement on Tuesday due to persistent back problems. Even after undergoing two surgeries, the Spaniard was unable to recover and get back onto the pitch, reports Xinhua.
“I am 27 years old and disabled,” Dominguez said.
“The last two years have been very difficult for me. I have tried everything to recover and gave everything for the team and club. In the end it was not enough. After two back surgeries, my chapter professional football is closed.”
Dominguez Soto joined German top flight club Borussia Monchengladbach from Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2012 and provided three goals and four assists in 81 competitive encounters.
In November last year, Dominguez was out of action due to a back surgery, from which he never fully recovered. He almost made his comeback to the pitch in the summer of 2016 but another surgery sealed the end of his career.
Monchengladbach are at the 13th place on the Bundesliga standings. They will face FSV Mainz 05 in a Bundesliga clash on Sunday.