Goa district extends ban on Pramod Muthalik by 60 days
Panaji, Jan 16 (IANS) TGoa’s North Goa district on Monday extended the ban on entry of Karnataka-based Hindu outfit Sri Rama Sene chief Pramod Muthalik for 60 more days with effect from January 17.
“If Muthalik or any of his associates are not prevented from taking entry in the State of Goa, then the same could lead to serious law and order problem… the aggressive statements of Muthalik will certainly affect peace, harmony and will create fear in the minds of public and tourists,” said the order issued by North Goa District Magistrate Nila Mohanan.
Muthalik’s entry to the district has been banned since 2014, after the rightwing Hindu activist said that he proposed to set up a branch of the Sene in the state and would work towards banning nightlife and pubs in the tourism-oriented state because they allegedly aped Western culture.
Muthalik has already challenged the ban on his entry to North Goa in the Supreme Court and last week, the apex court had issued a notice to the state government seeking an explanation on the ban.
Muthalik and the Sene first hit infamy after he vandalised a pub in Karnataka’s Mangaluru city and assaulted young men and women in the outlet claiming they were blindly aping western tradition.