India to closely engage with other countries over Indians’ safety

New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) With US President Donald Trump condemning the fatal shooting at a bar in Kansas last week that claimed the life of an Indian techie, the Indian government on Wednesday said that it will closely engage with authorities of other countries wherever the safety of Indians is concerned.

“The safety of Indians all over the world is a matter of the highest priority for the government,” said External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay.

“You saw that the senior authorities of the United States and Kansas where this unfortunate took place, they had a very clear and categorical approach to such crimes.

“They have condemned it, they have said that they will prosecute, investigate this crime very fully… President Trump himself condemned the killing and the government will remain very closely engaged with authorities in other countries wherever the safety of Indians is concerned.”

Trump began his first address to Congress at the Capitol Hill on Tuesday by condemning the fatal attack on Srinivas Kuchibhotla, saying the country “stands united in condemning hate and evil”.

“Last week’s shooting in Kansas city reminds us that while we may be a nation divided on policies, we are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms,” he said.

Kuchibhotla, 32, was killed and his colleague Alok Madasani was injured when US Navy veteran Adam W. Purinton fired at them at the Austin’s Bar & Grill in Olathe, Kansas state, on February 22.

Purinton reportedly got into an argument with the two and hurled racial slurs. He yelled “get out of my country” before shooting them.

Ian Grillot, a 24-year-old American, who tried to save the Indians, was hit by a bullet that pierced his hand and then lodged in his chest. He has since been hospitalised and is in fair condition.

A White House spokeswoman said the shooting appeared to be “an act of racially motivated hatred”.

“The President is keeping the family of the victim, who was senselessly killed, in his thoughts, and we’re praying for the full and speedy recovery of those wounded,” Trump’s Principal Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Sander said on Tuesday.

“We want to reiterate that the President condemns these and any other racially — or religiously — motivated attacks in the strongest terms.”

–IANS

ab/vd

Top