Manny Pacquiao- Amir Khan bout called off, confirms promoter Bob Arum
London [UK], Mar. 8 (ANI): Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao's 'super fight' with Great Britain's Amir Khan has been called off after a promised USD 38m from an unnamed investment group failed to materialise.
Both the boxers had last month confirmed that the bout would take place on April 23, however, the venue of whose was not confirmed.
Taking to his Twitter account, Pacquiao had confirmed the news of his bout with Amir, saying that was what the fans wanted.
"Negotiations between team Pacquiao and team Khan have come to terms for the April 23 bout as this is what the fans wanted," he tweeted.
But now, Bob Arum, Filipino's promoter has said that the offer was fool's gold.
"When they contacted me, I told them it was pie in the sky, that this is crazy, it's not going to happen," Arum was quoted as saying by the Guardian.
"Manny wanted to roll the dice. He rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.
"If something is too good to be true, it's too good to be true," he added.
Khan's last fight took place in May 2016, when he challenged Mexico's Saul Alvarez for the WBC middleweight title but was knocked out in six rounds.
Pacquiao, who boasted an enviable record of 58 wins in his 66 professional fights, originally called curtains on his illustrious career last year after beating Timothy Bradley by unanimous decision in April before being elected to the Philippines senate a month later.
He, however, made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas in November last year, saying he still felt like a youngster.(ANI)