Norway didn’t violate mass killer’s human rights, says court
Copenhagen, March 1 (IANS) An appeals court on Wednesday ruled that Norway did not violate the human rights of Anders Breivik since his imprisonment for massacring 77 persons in 2011.
The ruling overturned a 2016 lower court verdict that, under the European Convention on Human Rights, found Breivik had been subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment after being confined to near-isolation in the three-roomed cell, Efe news reported.
Breivik brought the initial charges to the court.
Strict conditions for Breivik, who has no contact with other inmates, were justified because he was unrepentant and posed a threat of violence, said a statement by the Borgarting appeal court.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik set off a bomb in Oslo’s government district before carrying out a mass shooting at the annual summer camp of the Left-wing Labour Party’s youth organisation.
Eight people were killed in the explosion and 69 more killed on Utoya island after he masqueraded as a police officer carrying out security checks.
Norway was also acquitted of violating a privacy law after Breivik claimed his isolation inside a maximum security prison, coupled with strict control over his visits and communication abilities, contravened another article in the European human rights convention.