Over 6,000 displaced as typhoon hits Philippines

Manila, Dec 25 (IANS) More than 6,000 people have been displaced as typhoon Nock-ten battered parts of the Philippines, authorities said on Sunday.

Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said government workers, particularly those involved in disaster relief and operations, were “working round-the-clock even on Christmas Day” as the weather disturbance, locally named Nina, maintained its strength and endangered the eastern province of Catanduanes.

Nock-ten was expected to make landfall over Catanduanes and cross the provinces of Albay, Camarines Sur, Camarines Norte, southern Quezon, Laguna, Batangas and Cavite, the state weather forecasting agency Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said, Xinhua news agency reported.

The typhoon has so far displaced 2,340 persons in Region V or Bicol Region.

“The affected families are currently staying in two evacuation centres in Guinobatan, Albay,” the Department of Social Welfare and Development said.

Some 3,793 persons residing along coastal and riverside areas in the municipalities of Pambujan and Rosario in central province of Northern Samar were also evacuated.

Typhoon Nock-ten was projected to be outside the Philippines by Wednesday afternoon, Pagasa said.

–IANS

soni/dg

Top