Over 700 migrants make mass bid to enter Spain’s Ceuta
Madrid, Jan 1 (IANS) Over 700 sub-Saharan migrants on Sunday staged a mass attempt to enter Spain’s Ceuta on the north coast of Africa, the police officials said.
The police said the mass attempt to reach the Spanish territory happened around 5 a.m. (local time) when the group tried to breach the border fence with Morocco, Efe news agency reported.
The majority of the group were contained by Moroccan forces deployed in the area.
The incident took place in the same area where 438 migrants had earlier on December 9 managed to reach the Ceuta city upon storming gates in the border fence.
Moroccan officials on Sunday managed to fend off most of the group, but some did reach the top of the double fence, which was six metres high.
More police officers were sent to the scene, while Spain’s Red Cross dispatched ambulances to tend to the migrants.