Residents of gutted Delhi shanties living in the open
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Over 2,000 persons left homeless after a massive fire gutted around 800 shanties in Sadar Bazar area here have been forced to live in the open amid stench emanating from burning debris.
The affected persons said they were hoping for succour from the Delhi government. Though they said about 800 shanties were gutted, officials maintained the number was 317.
The fire broke out on Monday night a few meters away from Sadar Bazar police station and is suspected to have been caused by a short circuit. It was doused in about five hours by 34 fire tenders.
“Our children are living without food and shelter in this cold weather,” rued Rajvir Kumar.
He said they had sought help from Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia when he visited them on Monday evening.
Residents alleged no representative of the area’s Municipal Corporation had visited them so far.
“We are living in fear of epidemic since trash and other solid waste is still lying around,” said Rani Devi.
Officials said most people staying in the shanties were labourers. They said shanties in the area first came up in 1975.