Selection retweet brings trouble for Suryakumar Yadav; MCA demands explanation
Mumbai [India], Feb. 21 (ANI): Mumbai's middle-order batsman Suryakumar Yadav has been asked for an explanation by the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) after retweeting a post on the micro-blogging website that questioned his omission from the team for the Inter-state T20 tournament.
On Monday, MCA senior selection committee picked their 14 member-squad for the inter-state one day limited over league to be played in Chennai from February 25.
The committee, headed by Milind Rege, had kept the 15th member's slot vacant for the next 24 hours, reason being the MCA has sent a notice to its star IPL player Yadav seeking explanation on a re-tweet.
"Players are not allowed to comment on selection on social media," MCA joint-secretary Unmesh Khanvilkar was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
"We have a managing committee meeting tomorrow where we will discuss what to do. We have called him [to appear before the committee] and have also sought a written explanation."
"Yesterday, I told him to give the written explanation within 24 hours so he can do that today. The committee will review his written explanation and then we will think what is to be done," he added.
He also pointed out that the 26-year-old batsman was let off with a verbal warning last year when he had tweeted expressing his displeasure at opener Jay Bista being dropped for Mumbai's semi-final game against Madhya Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy.
"There are only 14 players we have picked [so far]," Khanvilkar said. "Cricket-wise, there is no problem. He is a good player. Just because of the disciplinary issue, we have withheld his selection, so whatever decision is taken in the managing committee, accordingly we will choose the 15," he added.
The 26-year-old has been in the mix of controversies over the last few years. (ANI)