Simple steps to maintain you silver, jewellery
New Delhi, Dec 20 (IANS) Silver objects tarnish easily and develop stains and scratches. Avoid wrapping your silver in plastic bags and polish it with a toothpaste, says an expert.
Preeti Sogani, Managing Director at Sogani Jewellers, shared a few tips:
* Clean your silver using soft, dry cloth without using any chemical, acid or acetone. Avoid polishing as it may remove protective lacquering.
* Do not keep your silver in extreme heat and avoid wrapping it in plastic bags as it may cause dampness which speeds up tarnishing.
* As silver is a soft metal, it should be handled with care. Avoid improper handling and wear gloves while cleaning the precious metal to avoid abrasion.
* Store in a clean, dry place preferably on a butter paper or soft white cloth.
* Do you know that toothpaste can clean tarnish? Apply a small amount of paste on the silver, run it under warm water and make a foam that will remove the stubborn stains and dirt from the intricate parts. Use only a soft-bristled toothpaste.
* A mixture of a teaspoon salt in white vinegar if applied on the silver jewellery results in the much-needed shine and lustre. Give a final touch by polishing it with a soft fabric.
* Rub a paste of baking soda with warm water on silver, rinse it with warm water and polish with a dry soft cloth. You can directly sprinkle baking soda on the silver to remove the stubborn tarnish.
* White salt can work wonders for silver. In a pan, place an aluminium foil at the bottom and add water (2-3 inches), salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and add silver items; immerse silver items completely in the liquid and dry and buff with a soft cloth.