Two Taekwondo players allege assault, FIR lodged after DCW’s intervention
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) Following the Delhi Commission for Women’s (DCW) directions, Delhi Police lodged an FIR in connection with the alleged sexual assault of two girls — both Taekwondo national players — by their coach in Jharkhand.
The DCW had directed the police to file an FIR after hearing the victims’ plea.
“The victims arrived in Delhi on Wednesday afternoon and approached our office,” a senior DCW official told IANS.
The victims have alleged that their coach Sanjay Sharma has been “raping them since last year”.
“He had also made an MMS and used to threaten them with dire consequences. He has threatened to make the MMS public if they approach the police,” he added.
The victims, natives of Ranchi in Jharkhand, also alleged that Sharma had molested scores of players who were being trained by him in the academy, he said.
“They had also written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi last year seeking his intervention but since they did not get any response, they approached the DCW after reading about it in newspapers,” the official told IANS.
The players claimed that Sharma had “contacts in the Ranchi police” and that their complaint was not being registered there.
“We had our last hopes from the DCW. We narrated the entire ordeal to them and they sent us to the Kamla Market police station,” the victims told the DCW official.
“The police registered an FIR on Thursday evening and transferred it to its counterpart Ranchi police for further investigation,” a senior police officer told IANS.