Using public toilets while vacationing? Take precautions
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) With Christmas around the corner, the holiday season has officially arrived for travel lovers. While vacationing, clean and hygienic bathrooms must always be your priority and for this, keep in mind a few basic steps like using Indian seat toilets and using tissues while touching the doorknob, says an expert.
KE Ranganathan, President, Sales and Marketing, Roca Bathroom Products Pvt Ltd, shares a few insights about what one should keep in mind while using public toilets.
* First and foremost, avoid touching the toilet doorknob with bare hands. Door knobs carry germs from multiple sources and may cause infections. Try using a tissue paper for holding the knob from outside as well as inside before heading out or going in.
* Take care of your personal belongings. Germs touching your hands can be easily washed out but once they transmit to your belongings such as phone, handbags, etc, they might infect you. Avoid placing your handbags on the floors and hang it on the hook behind the doors.
* Always prefer an Indian seat toilet instead of the western style to avoid any direct contact with the toilet surfaces. In case you can’t find one, hover over the seat without skin contact or make sure that you wipe the toilet seat before sitting on it.
* Flush it, turn around and get out of the toilet. The probability of getting infected with air-borne germs and bacteria while flushing is very high. Always close the lid before you flush, take a small tissue to press the flush button and exit the place quickly.
* Avoid the use of hand dryer, how ever much it might attract you for a quick dry. The blow dryer giving out hot air has the ability to spread the germs present in the air around. To avoid getting infected even after washing hands thoroughly, use a paper towel to dry them. Carry a small handkerchief while you are on the go.
* In the end, use a hand sanitiser and you are good to go!